-mbionic in gcc 4.6.1

I have just discovered this option in gcc 4.6.1 and wanted to clarify the purpose of it.

I tried to create a "hello world" in this way, but when I use this option during linking, it seems to create a dependency on the main android libc library (usually residing in /system/bin), which is fine, but the linker still seems to keep the "normal" libc and libgcc dependencies as well.

I guess what I was hoping to see is that gcc uses bionic and the entire chain of android libc tool libraries, but I suspect that is a wishful thinking on my part. Is there a way of deploying gcc in such a way, without going the full monty with deploying the android sdk/ndk?

I was able to avoid these sort of issues up until now, by producing statically-linked executables from a "normal" Linux environment (using gcc and compile/build for the appropriate arm arch), and then just copy these to my 'droid device - I have encountered no issues so far by doing that, but this route is not always possible as some packages are not easy to compile statically.