Re: Building GCC with the -g option

Amittai Aviram <amittai.aviram@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1.  The instructions say:  "Assuming you've produced preprocessed source (see the bug reporting directions for how to do this) ..."  They mean preprocessed source of the target that you will compile with GCC, don't they?  (I.e., not preprocessed source of GCC itself.)  Why do you need preprocessed source?  What if you want to step through the preprocessor as well as the compiler?

If you want to debug the preprocessor, then indeed you should not be
using preprocessed source.  However most people are more interested in
debugging the compiler proper, and in that case it generally helps to be
able to use just preprocessed source and not worry about having the
specify -I and -D options during the debugging run.

> 2.  Under "Building a Debuggable Compiler," the instructions say that you should run
>
> make STAGE1_CFLAGS="-g -O0" all-stage1
>
> or
>
> make STAGE1_CFLAGS="-g3 -O0" all-stage1
>
> Is this _instead_ of using BOOT_CFLAGS="-g -O0", or _in addition_ to it?  I'm confused about the relation between the two variables BOOT_CFLAGS and STAGE1_CFLAGS.

In that section the wiki page is suggesting that you just build stage 1,
rather than doing a full bootstrap which involves building the compiler
three times.  STAGE1_CFLAGS is used when building stage 1.  BOOT_CFLAGS
is used when building stages 2 and 3.  The separation is because
STAGE1_CFLAGS applies to whatever compiler is used to build gcc.
BOOT_CFLAGS applies when using the newly built gcc to build itself.

Ian