Re: Problem with Canadian cross (was: Re: Error building libgcc: missing setting for CPP)

On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 17:24 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> In order to build a Canadian Cross build-x-host-x-target, you need to
> first build the build-x-host cross-compiler and the build-x-target
> cross-compiler.  In this case I think you have failed to build the
> build-x-target cross-compiler, which in your terminology would be
> --target=NEWSYS.

Ah!  I definitely did not.  That is a much simpler and clearer
explanation than most of the docs on Canadian cross I've seen.  Because
I can run both the host and target compilers on my build machine, some
of the nuances of the cross are hidden that might have been obvious to
me otherwise :-)  I was just thinking we would use the xgcc to build the
target libraries, but that obviously won't work in a REAL cross since
that xgcc runs on the host.

OK, got it.

So next question: I want my final toolchain to including C, C++, and
FORTRAN compilers.  I was thinking that I would need only C and C++ for
the build-x-host and build-x-target compilers, but the configure of the
final GCC fails since it can't find NEWSYS-gfortran.  So I guess I need
all three, at least for the build-x-target compiler?  Are some of the
FORTRAN libraries written themselves in FORTRAN?

Cheers!

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@xxxxxxx>          Find some GNU make tips at: