Re: Trouble installing gfortran

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:10:05 +0000
From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: John Harper <John.Harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: gcc-help@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Trouble installing gfortran

On 10 January 2012 20:07, John Harper wrote:

My little test program then compiled but wouldn't run even though the
library said to be missing does exist. It was presumably put somewhere

that gfortran couldn't find it. What should I do now? Evidence:
[...]
./a.out: error while loading shared libraries: libquadmath.so.0: cannot open

In my reply directing you to the gcc-help list I also answered your
question, I guess you didn't scroll down far enough :)

I said:

The dynamic linker needs to know how to find the library at run time.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/faq.html#faq.how_to_set_paths

Thank you - after many, many unsuccessful tries I have at last got
a working gfortran 4.6.2! As will be obvious, I am an extreme newbie as
a systems programmer. One question I have is that our systems people
installed gfortran 4.4.4 and when I use it with -v I get inter alia
Target: i386-redhat-linux6E
but when I installed gfortran 4.6.2 myself on the same machine without specifying --target I get
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu

Why the difference? FWIW the command   set | grep 86   gives
HOSTTYPE=i386
MACH=i386
MACHTYPE=i386-redhat-linux-gnu

-- John Harper, School of Mathematics Statistics and Operations Research
Victoria University, PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
e-mail john.harper@xxxxxxxxx phone (+64)(4)463 5276 fax (+64)(4)463 5045