Re: aix cross(?)compiler

2011/12/14 Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2011/12/14 Jędrzej Dudkiewicz:

>>> The process is much simpler if you let GCC build the GMP, MPFR and MPC
>>> libs, instead of installing them separately. See
>>> http://advogato.org/person/redi/diary/253.html
>>
>> It's simpler, but results in errors. On AIX, by default, GCC is built
>> as 32-bit binary but aforementioned libraries are built in 64-bit
>> mode. Most probably it's possible to do everything in one shot, but I
>> have a habit of scripting everything, so building these libraries in
>> 32-bit mode is as easy as running one script.
>
> If you put the libraries in the GCC source tree they should be built
> for the same architecture as GCC, if they are not, please report a
> bug.

I can try it, but last time I tried it wasn't working. Note that here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#x-ibm-aix

it is written:

Because GCC on AIX is built as a 32-bit executable by default,
(although it can generate 64-bit programs) the GMP and MPFR libraries
required by gfortran must be 32-bit libraries. Building GMP and MPFR
as static archive libraries works better than shared libraries.

My impression is that if you were right, this wouldn't be mentioned.
On the other hand it seems that not only gfortran requires them, so
maybe this whole part is wrong.

> Are you installing dynamic libraries for gmp, mpfr and mpc?  If you
> are, it's not as simple as running one script, because you need to
> ensure they can be found by the dynamic linker at runtime.

No, as in quoted text above: "Building GMP and MPFR as static archive
libraries works better than shared libraries".
--
Jędrzej Dudkiewicz

I really hate this damn machine, I wish that they would sell it.
It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it.