Re: building snapshots.... noob enquirey

On 7 December 2011 15:23, Robert Jones wrote:
> Am I correct in believing that snapshots include everything for all
> supported languages, rather than
> the just the core & g++ bits I've built before? And consequently
> building snapshots takes a while?

If you build everything yes.

Also relevant, by default snapshots build with lots of internal checks
enabled, which makes GCC slower. Those checks are disabled for release
builds. See the --enable-checking configure option for details,
--enable-checking=release to build the same way as releases are built.

> Is there anyway to download and build just those bits I'm interested
> in, as I would for a release?

No, you have to download the whole lot, but you can configure with
--enable-languages=c,c++ to avoid building what you don't care about
(also consider --disable-libquadmath if not using fortran, and
--disable-libmudflap and --disable-libitm if you don't want to use
those features)

You can also speed up builds by using --disable-bootstrap

All of this is in the installation docs, which you read before asking
this, right?