Re: autovectorization in gcc

Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> In order to implement this project, I will need a state-of-art
> autovectorizing compiler. Considering the open-source compilers in the
> field, gcc looks like a good choice.  Unfortunately, while I do have
> much experience working llvm, I have no experience with gcc.
>
> Can any of you give me some suggestions on where to start, I think I
> need to learn the gcc framework as a whole first, then I need to focus
> on the autovectorization pass. Also, any comments on the project idea
> are appreciated as well.

I think you have pretty much summed up the situation.  Since you will
want to focus on the vectorization passes, I would start by reading
gcc/tree-vect*.[ch].  As you find areas that you don't understand, refer
to the gcc internal's manual (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/) and
the wiki (http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/).  Also feel free to ask questions
here.

Ian