Re: collect2 picks wrong target-ld

Georg-Johann Lay schrieb:
Ian Lance Taylor schrieb:

Georg-Johann Lay:

collect2 calls the wring linker (avr-ld).

It calls avr-ld from $PATH instead of the linker as installed in the toolchain and with --prefix.

--prefix is not in $PATH but binutils are configured with the same --prefix and installed before GCC was configured.

I'd expect that a toolchain installation is self-contained and that if there is
a complete toolchain the tools can be called by their absolute paths?

Similarly, collect2 in $BUILD calls avr-ld it finds in $PATH instead of the avr-ld installed at --prefix.

Is this a bug or a feature?

From your description, that is a bug.  If you configure with the same

--prefix and --target, and you run both "make" and "make install", then
gcc should use the installed ld.  It shouldn't run "avr-ld".  It should
run "ld" from the special $(exec_prefix)/$(target_alias) directory.
That directory exists to hold tools that the compiler needs to run,
under canonical names.

Ian

You have an idea what is going wrong and where I have to look?

I am not familiar with that corner of the tools and have just a faint idea of how the actual right behaviour should exactly be at each point.

Why is collect2 searching for target-ld at all if it is supposed to use dedicated ld?

With -debug it spits out a directory list taken from $PATH and in some directory there is a target-ld which collect2 is calling.

Johann

I added the INSTALL/bin directory to PATH with

export PATH=INSTALL/bin:$PATH

but after deleting the build directory, configuring and making again, it still does not work and test cases with -flto are failing.

...giving up. I wasted almost a week now and will switch back to --disable-lto so that I can proceed with my work.

Johann