Re: Troubleshooting with gcc 4.6

Matthias Klose <doko@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> When asking a question of this sort, it helps a lot if you show us
>> precisely what you did and precisely what happened.  Without seeing
>> that, I am going to guess that you are running into multiarch libraries.
>> Debian, and therefore Ubuntu, decided to move the system libraries from
>> the locations where all GNU/Linux distros have put them for many years.
>> They have updated their own versions of gcc, but the mainstream gcc
>> releases have not been updated.
>>
>> This is going to be an ongoing problem for many years for people who use
>> Debian or Ubuntu.  I do not know how to resolve it.
>
> This is not a multiarch issue. Passing --as-needed by default to the linker was
> enabled in the Ubuntu 11.10 release, which is one month old [1].
>
> Even multiarch is only seven month old (first appeared in Ubuntu 11.04), so I
> honestly can't see any justification for your "many years" statement.
>
> Yes, I do need to re-submit the updated multiarch patch.

I assume you mean my second use of "many years."  It is going to be an
ongoing problem because people often want to build gcc releases which
are not at tip.  On gcc-help we routinely get questions about how to
build gcc 3.4 and later.  As far as I can see, none of those older
releases are going to build on current and future Debian/Ubuntu
releases, because the libraries have moved.  Therefore, I believe we are
going to be dealing with this issue on gcc-help for many years to come.
Fortunately, we will gain the corresponding benefit of, well, hmmm, I
can't think of any benefit, actually.  But there must be one out there
that is worth all this disruption for gcc users.

Ian