Re: Compiling only libstdc++-v3 (with debugging symbols)

> It's hard to know what to say when you decide that the
> documentation is wrong.  I understand what you are trying
> to do, but it is not supported.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend.

>> and the build fails. The output is shown here http://pastebin.com/p4iD7h4i
>
> The failure appears to be that you are compiling libstdc++ with a different
> version of g++.  In general you must build libstdc++ with the version of
> g++ that it is shipped with.  libstdc++ includes non-standard code which
> is dependent on the specific version of the compiler.

Okay I've found the correct source tarball that matches the version of
g++ on my system. So now how do I go about building libstdc++ only the
correct way with debugging symbols? Assuming `gcc-root' is the root
source tree as before.

Is running this correct?
$ ../gcc-root/configure --enable-languages=c++
--enable-libstdcxx-debug --prefix=$HOME/local

Will the --enable-libstdcxx-debug option be accepted correctly even
though it's being passed to ../gcc-root/configure rather than
../gcc-root/libstdc++/configure ?

Assuming that's right do I run
$ make all-target-libstdc++-v3

? I found that make target by looking at the script that builds
libstdc++-v3 for my distribution (Arch Linux). If that is the make
target I need to build only libstdc++-v3 then maybe that should be in
the documentation somewhere?

> Many functions in libstdc++ are inlined from header files, and as such are
> affected by the use of -g when you compile, rather than whether -g was
> used when libstdc++ itself was built.  Note that -D_GLIBCXX_DEBUG
> does not affect whether debugging symbols are generated; it produces
> a debugging version of the code which adds runtime checks to make
> sure that functions are being used correctly.

That's good to know.

Thanks for the very informative reply.

All the best,
Dan.