default system include path search

Hi,

is there a way, when compiling gcc, to force the generated
compiler have a (arbitrary) set of search paths for system include
files?

I ask because ubuntu (or debian) decided that /usr/include/asm
should be called /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/asm on my host
and doing a simple "../gcc-4.6.1/configure --prefix=XXXX && make && make install"
fails.

As a simple solution I just symlink /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/asm
to /usr/include/asm but all this is to release some tools and
it should work for other people (who may not necessarily have root
access to their host, so a solution without symlink would be nice,
and the generated gcc should not need some runtime parameter at all
and just work out of the box).

I think ubuntu/debian/whoever modified the gcc sources, but
I'm not sure of that claim and, well, maybe on this list some
people know what's going on...

(they apparently also decided to put the C library and others
in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu which was a problem when I compiled
the binutils, but --with-lib-path="/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu"
solved the issue, it seems, not really sure either... but
that's another story...)

Sorry, it's a bit off-topic.

Regards,
Cédric.