Re: Bootstraping gcc-4.6.1 with Sun Studio on Solaris 9

2011/8/15 Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@xxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Maciej Bliziński wrote:
>
>> I'm working on a bootstrap of gcc-4.6.1 using Sun Studio on Solaris 9.
>> I'm currently stuck at a liblto_plugin.so linking issue[1], but I'd
>> first like to verify whether my general approach is correct.
>
> libtool doesn't seem to have noticed you are not using gcc/linux.

Is there a standard way to tell it that?  There already was a
hardcoded AM_CFLAGS bit, which was incompatible with Sun Studio, so I
made a provisional patch to push the build forward.

http://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/gcc4/branches/bootstrap-4.6/files/0001-clear-AM_CFLAGS-in-lto-plugin.patch

Perhaps there are more hardcoded assumptions about the build environment?

I think I saw tests for -Wall passing by in other parts of the build,
perhaps they could be reused. I also saw that revision 177614
addresses some of these issues, but I guess these changes haven't made
it into a release yet.

>> There is a mutual incompatibility between flags accepted by Sun Studio
>> and GCC.  Therefore, 2 sets of CFLAGS are needed: one for the host
>> compiler (here: Sun Studio), and one gcc for the subsequent stages.
>> The first one is set via CFLAGS, and the second one is set via
>> CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET.  Is this approach correct? (I also saw references
>> to the TARGET_CFLAGS variable, so I'm not sure which one to use.)
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/build.html
> (BOOT_CFLAGS)
> But you should probably leave alone the flags used by gcc and only touch the
> flags used by suncc (although the default ones worked well enough last I
> tried).

There are some flags I need to pass to the last stage of the
compilation, namely -march=v8, because of the policy at OpenCSW to
build sparcv8 and not sparcv8+ (default for gcc) binaries.  Looks like
BOOT_CFLAGS work for that purpose.

The current point where I'm stuck is the lto-plugin linking problem,
any advice is appreciated.

Maciej

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs?view=revision&revision=177614