Re: Cross compiling simple pcap example

On 20 June 2011 16:53, Kent Kvarfordt wrote:
> Ok.  So even though the libraries are dynamically linked shared object
> libraries (.so), the 32-bit versions need to be present during the
> compile/link phase on the 64-bit installation?

Yes.

Dynamic linking doesn't mean linking is entirely delayed until
runtime, the linker still wants to ensure all symbols are resolved, so
checks the shared library at link time.

> The reason I ask is that the application I am trying to cross compile
> actually has several incompatible library errors.  I was using the
> pcap example as a boiled down example for posting.  Is there a way to
> compile the application on the 64-bit installation w/out installing
> 32-bit versions, so the 32-bit libraries are resolved at runtime on
> the 32-bit installation?

You could create a dummy 32-bit shared library with the same name and
soname which exports all the symbols needed by your program, then
ensure the real library is found at runtime.  But it would be much
easier to just install the required libs.