Re: gcc-4.6.0 breaks

On 2 June 2011 15:20, Marc Glisse wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>
>> I have a handful of versions installed in ~/gcc/ and invoke them via a
>> script like
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> : ${ver:=4.7}
>> : ${libdir:=lib64}
>> $HOME/gcc/$ver/bin/g++ -Wl,-rpath,$HOME/gcc/$ver/$libdir -Wall -g "$@"
>
> When you have many versions, it may be more convenient to add a spec file
> that does the rpath thing. This way you can call any g++ in any way without
> bothering with wrappers and without risk.

I often don't want to use -rpath at all.  Now and then I need to
compile with one version and run against a different libstdc++.so to
ensure I haven't broken the ABI, so I mix and match g++ and
libstdc++.so versions.  But that's not something most people will ever
need to do. So optional wrapper scripts work for me.  YMMV.