Re: __gnu_cxx error in OpenSolaris

asyropoulos@xxxxxxx writes:

>>> This is supposed to be the GNU C/C+/ compiler not the compiler of the
>>> GNU C,
>>> GNU C++, etc. languages, so this is not an answer.
>>
>>I'm not sure why you say that.
>
> From http://gcc.gnu.org/:
>
> #The GNU Compiler Collection includes front ends for C, C++,
> Objective-C, Fortran, Java, Ada, and Go, as well as
> #libraries for these languages (libstdc++, libgcj,...). GCC was
> originally written as the compiler for the GNU operating system.
> #The GNU system was developed to be 100% free software, free in the
> sense that it respects the user's freedom.
>
> Here it is clearly stated that this is a C, C++, etc. compiler not
> something else. And when you press the C link it
> shows to what degree the compiler supports the standard.  So what
> don't you understand?

gcc does by default compile all conforming ISO C90 programs and, with
the appropriate option, almost all conforming C99 programs.  I am not
aware of any compiler which by default rejects all non-conforming C90 or
C99 programs, though most compilers, including gcc, do have a mode in
which they reject non-conforming programs.

> Too bad for GNU and gcc. And I had the impression that this is all
> about standards
> that everyone should follow...

gcc does follow the standards.  You are talking about something else:
rejecting non-conforming programs.  The standard discusses conforming
programs, not non-conforming programs.

Ian