Re: boost library, hardtolink&compile, plz help

On 22 May 2011 19:42, eric lin wrote:
> Dear Jonathan or any g++ programers:
>  after reading your email hint, I goto my download and extracted directory
> /boost1_46_1/  directory
> and then run
> ./bootstrap.sh
>
> I don't know whether that is what you mean about ((install boost library) and (if it is where is boost library go))

This isn't the right place to find out how to install boost - read the
boost website.  Or if you're using GNU/Linux you can probably install
it from your distro's package manager, that would be easiest.

> then after that I run your suggest command in my cppcookbook/ directory which contain my example program about using boost lib's thread
>
> this is what I do and get
> ------------------------
> eric@eric-laptop:~/cppcookbook$ g++ -I/home/eric/boost1/boost_1_46_1/ example12-1.cpp  -L/home/eric/boost1/boost_1_46_1/boost/   -lboost_thread-mt
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lboost_thread-mt
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> eric@eric-laptop:~/cppcookbook$

> would you please tell me what is
>
> boost_thread-mt
>
> mean?

It's the name of a library, -lboost_thread-mt tells the linker to link
to libboost_thread-mt.so

> if that is a file, I indeed hard to find it in my /boost_1_46_1/  directory

The file will be called libboost_thread-mt.so