Help building a 32bit GCC that can generate 32/64bit (x86)

Hi all.  If there's a faq or other docs that can guide me in this please
just point them out.  I've read the GCC install.info and searched the
web but come up empty.  I've been trying with binutils 2.21, and GCC
4.4.6 and 4.5.2.

I'd like to create a 32bit version of GCC (+ binutils) that can compile
for both 32bit and 64bit output.  I know this can be done as I've seen
it done before, but I need to build my own and I just can't come up with
the right magic.

I am using --enable-targets=all to configure.

I've tried building on a 32bit system with --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
I've tried building on a 32bit system without setting a --target.  I've
tried building on a 64bit system with --build and --host set to
i686-pc-linux-gnu, both with and without setting --target.  And various
other combinations.

When compiling GCC, I am using --sysroot to build it to run on a much
older version of Linux than I have.  That can be leading to my problems
of course, but the alternatives are not lovely (create a VM or something
I suppose).

In all cases, something fails to compile properly: libgcc won't link, or
libssp throws a fit, or something (I would like to have libssp support
if possible).

I can and will go into details but I've tried so many things, I'm
wondering if someone can narrow down the alternatives for me and I can
focus on the "right" way to proceed then ask questions about just that
when I hit problems.

Can I build a 32/64bit compiler on a 32bit version of Linux?  Do I need
to make a cross-compiler (set --build and --host)?  Do I need to set
--target?  Or does the --enable-targets=all take care of this?

Or, do I need to build GCC on a 64bit version of Linux?  If so, how do I
get a 32bit binary out of that?  Do I need to set --build and --host for
this?  What would --target be here... i686-pc-linux-gnu?