Re: gcc linked to ccache with installed version

I think I understand what you are saying regarding -E, but given that,
ccache would still have to determine whether the language in question
was preprocessed. Does invoking gcc somehow signal to ccache that it
is preprocessed? How does it do that?

I looked at the source code for ccache. It can use the environment
variable CCACHE_CC to override the command line options. This variable
was not set in my environment.