Re: "cannot run C compiled programs" error

Hey Kevin,

Would it be useful to help me learn my way around GCC?

not sure if this will help you either, but there are a few resources available which could help you to get an introduction into GCC front-ends.

a) gcalc front-end: Philip Herron and I created a new sample GCC front-end with the same purpose as treelang. However, we decided to keep it off-tree to NOT increase the maintenance effort of the trunk. Though, the current version was developed against 4.6.0, but it might not be immediately up-to-date. You will find the sources here:

git://crules.org/git/gcc-dev.git -> gcalc branch

b) I wrote a small white paper about GCC front-end implementations. It isn't yet totally complete, but it should help you to get a broad overview about the structure and contents of GCC front-ends. The (draft) white paper is available at:

http://blog.lxgcc.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/GCC_frontend.pdf

c) You could have a look at the Go front-end written by Ian which was recently written from scratch. Ian also prepared a paper about Go on the last GCC summit (2010).

d) You could have a look at the in-development branch of python available from

git://crules.org/git/gcc-dev.git -> python-dev

As said, this is still in development.

Best regards,
Andre-Marcel