gcc and stack trace: only filename + offset displayed

Hi,

I compiled gcc 4.6 and I am enjoying the new standard, but there is one setback: the backtrace does not contain any symbols, just file + offset. I can use gdb to find out what these offsets are, but it would be easier just to see a backtrace.

The backtrace comes from ::backtrace () call, and later would be demangled by ::abi::__cxa_demangle; it is called during construction of exception class, and during terminate if it happens.

gcc 4.6 is not the version that the system ships with, it ships with 4.5.1. Is this caused by some changes in layout of some data, that gcc creates and something else (glibc?) reads?

Edek