Re: Distributing GCC with Commercial IDE

Otabek Kholikov <otabekhm@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Our IDE will have its own high level language and a C\C++ code
> generator. We would like to use GCC as our backend C\C++ compiler and
> linker.
> Will distributing this commercial IDE violate the license terms of GCC?

Obviously asking legal questions on the net is a risky business.
However, this is my answer.

As long as you provide the source code of the version of gcc you are
using, you are free to distribute gcc in conjunction with other
programs.  If your IDE invokes gcc as a command line program, that does
not cause the GPL to apply to your IDE.

A comment on your terminology: there is no difficulty in using the GPL
with a commercial product, and indeed several companies distribute gcc
commercially.  I assume you mean that your IDE is proprietary.

Ian