Re: Parallel execution

On 4/13/2011 9:48 AM, Hasan MUTLU wrote:
Hi,
I have implemented a multiprocessor system and want to run a code on my system.
My idea is to have a compiler support that tells me which instructions could be
executed in parallel without any problems. In other words, I have a given code
that is written without considering any kind of parallelization (a standard C
code written for single processor) and I want my compiler to tell me which
instructions don't have any kind of dependencies, so could be run in parallel.
This might remind you VLIW, which deals more or less with the same problem. You
can ignore how my hardware deals with this information. My question is how close
I can get to this information with gcc compiler. In other words, how can I
determine instruction dependencies, the instructions that could be run in
parallel? Any command line options (if there is) or a pointer in the source code
of gcc would be helpful.

Thanks..

There are interesting diagnostics in the tree-vectorizer-verbose group, maybe also something associated with tree-parallelize-loops. I don't think gcc has any which suggest when source changes such as -restrict would create opportunities.

--
Tim Prince