Re: Alignment - Structures and Other Things

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM, kevin diggs <diggskevin38@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Andrew Bell <andrew.bell.ia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> malloc() will return memory on a boundary suitable for any type.  If
>> some types must be, say, 8-byte aligned, malloc will return memory
>> that is 8-byte aligned.  This of course satisfies types that are
>> 4-byte, 2-byte and non-aligned.
>>
>> Your example code will end up breaking on some systems.
>>
> Even if it doesn't break it will likely incur a performance penalty
> from unaligned accesses, right?

I don't know if "likely" is the proper word here.  On some
architectures that don't _require_ specific alignment, I believe that
access is slower when reads/writes occur from/to locations not on
natural boundaries for the data type.

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia@xxxxxxxxx