Re: Preprocessed output in gcc 4.5.2

On 3/29/2011 4:18 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 29 March 2011 21:10, Edward Diener wrote:
According the the docs an "-E" parameter should produce preprocessed output.

It does.

I add that to the beginning of the g++ or gcc command line but the progam
does not produce the output and insists on compiling. What do I have to do
to get just preprocessed output in gcc ?

Are you still giving -c on the command line too? Use -E instead of
that, not in addition to it, otherwise if -c comes later it will
override the earlier -E option (which I am guessing is what's
happening if you're putting -E at the beginning.)

Also be aware the preprocessed output will go into the file specified
by -o, so you might want to change "-c -o foo.o" to "-E -o foo.ii"

It gives me a bunch of errors, such as:

error: missing binary operator before token "("

but refuses to generate any output so that I can see what the preprocessor is seeing when I give it the -E option. Absolutely infuriating !

Needless to say, using the Wave preprocessor in Boost shows no errors, but since gcc is not producing the same thing I don't know why gcc thinks the macros I am using is producing the errors it reports.