Re: gcc --prefix in chrooted environment

That is supposed to work, yes.  You'll have to see if it really does
work....
Thanks Ian. So, in other words the prefix value is only used during installation and then "forgotten" about, right?

I will try this, though I did not realise something (pretty) obvious - the chroot environment I am building needs to be supported by the host architecture in order for chroot to execute properly.

That's OK in some cases, but the majority won't work (x86_64 -> ppc for example), so I now have a separate issue to worry about - either find a way to build my final image without reverting to chroot (*very* risky) or find a program that does execute a script or another executable in a chroot jail. On first look out Fedora's mock seems to be doing that, so I need to investigate further, but I am drifting off-topic, so I will just shut up...

MZ