gcc 4.4.4 can freeze x86_64

Dear Madam or Sir:

When compiling code with a total array size about equal (or slightly
larger) to the machine RAM the system freezes (here it is an x86_64 with
24GB running RHEL 6). Redhat identified this as a problem with the
computation on the sha1sum on gcc 4.4.4 (case# 00387722). For some
reason the compiler tries to "work though the array" in its whole size
to compute a sha1sum.

On review of the function of the sha1sum I suspect that the present
implementation to generate the unique identifier goes overboard: the
crucial issue is that a given source code, compiler and associates
libraries, CPU ID and other hardware characteristics etc. represent a
finite number of distinct states. Involving any quantities DERIVED from
these pieces of information (such as going through an array specified in
the source code) seems NOT to increase the REPERTOIRE of states of the
sha1sum and may therefor be considered computational waste. I am curious
whether I missed a point or whether indeed a simpler approach would
suffice.

But in any event, please let me know of next steps to fix this bug
and/or with whom to get in touch.

As a quick fix I apply at this time the compiler flags
-Wl,--build-id=uuid bypassing a Build ID. This, however, is not a very
satisfying approach as one will apply it only after having crashed the
system.

With best regards,

Wolfram Jarisch
(301) 765-0810