Re: Help building the newer gcc

Quoting Scott Smith <scott.smith155@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I built gcc 3.0.3 about 10 years ago on Solaris 2.7 and would like to build a
> newer gcc on a system that has been upgraded to Solaris 2.10.  My most recent
> attempt was for gcc 4.0.0 configured with fortran disabled (thus obviating
> gmp, mpfr and mpc).  The build  succeeded up until the attempt to link a
> bunch of object files and a few library files in the directory `gcc' into the
> file `cc1'.  At this point, it complained about undefined symbols and exited
> with `ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to cc1' with
> more details in the attachment.  I'm guessing I need to build something in
> order to build the more recent gcc, the candidates will follow.
>
> Some notes on the build process:
>
> The only accessible compiler is the old gcc I built a decade ago as the
> license for the vendor compiler expired.
>
> Some of the headers changed with Solaris 2.10.  One consequential change is
> that the signal.h file (and the files it includes) will break with the
> compiler built under the earlier OS version.  I was able to get the relevant
> include files from an unupdated machine and adding an appropriate `-I...'
> into the Makefiles to find the old version rather than the current vendor
> version.  However, I could not find what option to supply with configure so
> that the flag would be included automatically.
>
> I have built and installed gmake but am currently using vendor binutils.
>
> Would I be better off getting the gnu binutils or building an intermediate
> gcc as an intermediate to the recent version?  Would I need something else?
> Also, once I get that set, what option would go with configure to add the
> include directory.

Hi

You should have GCC 3.4.3 in /usr/sfw/bin/gcc if you did a full install. Pretty
old. Otherwise, you can get packaged versions of GCC from sunfreeware, blastwave
or csw. You can also get the latest 'vendor compiler' (Oracle Solaris Studio 12
update 2) from Oracle for no cost (support and patches cost though).

Lastly, you might be able to get your old GCC to work again by running
fixincludes.

A+
Paul