Re: pre-processor symbols and gcc -v

Hi,

As always thank you VERY much for taking the time to share your VAST
array of knowledge! I REALLY do appreciate it!!! (You to Jonathon)

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> kevin diggs <diggskevin38@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> If a pre-processor macro, say __m68k__ is defined shouldn't it show up
>> in gcc -v? gcc version is 3.4.6.
>
> gcc -v does not list predefined preprocessor macros.  You can see them
> by running "gcc -x c /dev/null -E -dM".

I am trying to figure out if I should apologize for being to stupid to
figure this out. In my defense and in this case I can't build the
documentation (gcc 3.4.6 on an old Quadra 700 (mc68040)). makeinfo or
some such thing is missing. I think it also wants perl. Like I have
enough disk space on this thing to install (or build) that.

Did this change when the pre-processor moved into cc1?

>> P.S.:  Anyone point me to an example of how to use the 68k 'Q' constraint?
>
> In what sense?  There are various examples in gcc/config/m68k/m68k.md,
> e.g., tst<mode>_cf.

I apologize for the vagueness. I am referring to usage in embedded asm.

        asm volatile("fmoveml %%fpcr/%%fpsr,%0@\n"
                :
                :"a"(save)
        );

Q is address register indirect. I thought I could write this:

fmoveml %%fpcr/%%fpsr,%0\n"
:
:"Q"(save)

The compiler pitched a major league hissy fit though:

fmoveml.c: In function `f':
fmoveml.c:14: error: impossible constraint in `asm'

Are some of these constraints meant to be used only in md files?

>> And while I'm here, anyway to see when an instruction causes an
>> unimplemented instruction trap (like fcos on a 68040)?
>
> I guess I don't understand the question.
>
> Ian

Using ktruss dltest will show lots of diagnostic stuff. If I
understand it, on a 68040 the fcos instruction has to implemented by a
trap of some sort. Is there any utility that I can see these happen
analogous to what ktruss does for system calls?

Thanks!

kevin