Help with gcc partial link (option -ar)

Hello all,

I am porting a system from irix 6 to red-hat,
I am trying to generate an archive library of gcc generated objects (those
were generated using gcc -c).
This library is then to be used by a different module using it, this module
contains the main entry point for the start of execution.

I am trying to use the option -ar, as was originally used on the irix
machine.
>From my reading (for example:
http://www.mihaiu.name/2002/library_development_linux/)
I understand that this should generate "partial link".

As I mentioned, I am running on red-hat, using gcc version 3.4.6, and am
trying the following command:
> gcc -ar  -o outcome.a file1.o file2.o

To my surprise, the outcome of this is : "undefined reference to main".
Well, those files really do not contain a "main" function since that
function is on another module and is to be linked later with this library
(outcome.a) - I would have expected the -ar parameter to supress the need
for such main function, since it is a "partial link", and doen't create an
executable. Later on, I tried removing the -ar parameter and the outcome
remains the same.

Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong here?

Thank you.