Re: suggestion for GCC (1)

Am 08.02.2011 00:04, schrieb Ian Lance Taylor:
ali hagigat<hagigatali@xxxxxxxxx>  writes:

A necessary feature for GCC is to compile C/Assembly programs without
standard libraries for Intel architectures.
This feature can not and will not be implemented.  Some supporting
routines are always required, particularly for gcc extensions like
nested functions and __attribute__ ((cleanup)).

Ian

IIRC the functions Ali mentioned (mem*) are the only required ones to build working binaries without C library (i.e. for bare metal targets). We do it this way at Rockbox.

But I wonder why, the mem* functions are trivial to implement in plain C so why does one need to provide them?

Best regards.