Re: Compiling a cross compiler for VXWorks - "cannot compute suffix of object files"

4.2.2011 3:37, Thomas Clark kirjoitti:

I'm trying to compile glibc for vxworks, but I'm getting errors with that.

Why on earth? Does glibc even support vxworks? Nowadays it should be
ported only for Linux.

$ ../configure --host=i686-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr/local/ppc-vxworks

This would try to produce glibc for Linux/x86 host and target, there
is no difference between host and target in this because the target C
library for some $target/$host is the same everywhere, whether it is
installed on its native platform or on some cross host!

The vxWorks target C library is the one which Wind River Systems will
provide and it cannot be substituted by glibc! If that was your
purpose...

vxWorks has its own startfile, a superset of libgcc.a etc., from the
'gcc/config/vxworks.h' :

/* For VxWorks, the system provides libc_internal.a.  This is a superset
   of libgcc.a; we want to use it.  Make sure not to dynamically export
   any of its symbols, though.  Always look for libgcc.a first so that
   we get the latest versions of the GNU intrinsics during our builds.  */
#undef VXWORKS_LIBGCC_SPEC
#define VXWORKS_LIBGCC_SPEC \
  "-lgcc %{mrtp:--exclude-libs=libc_internal,libgcc -lc_internal}"

#undef VXWORKS_STARTFILE_SPEC
#define VXWORKS_STARTFILE_SPEC "%{mrtp:%{!shared:-l:crt0.o}}"
#define VXWORKS_ENDFILE_SPEC ""

$ make

#snip

./sysdeps/i386/fpu/s_frexp.S: Assembler messages:
./sysdeps/i386/fpu/s_frexp.S:66: Error: invalid identifier for ".ifdef"
./sysdeps/i386/fpu/s_frexp.S:66: Error: junk at end of line, first
unrecognized character is `1'

Probably the 'as' being found was for PPC, not for x86 ... For instance
if you put '/usr/local/ppc-vxworks/bin' to be in PATH before '/usr/bin'!