Re: Do not spill variables/registers on the stack

On 02/02/2011 21:49, Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus wrote:
On Mi, 2011-02-02 at 21:32 +0100, Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus
<stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Mi, 2011-02-02 at 11:08 -0700, Jeff Law wrote:

On 02/02/11 10:34, Philip Herron wrote:

I am not quite sure what you are asking/trying to do but the register
keyword is used to tell the compiler keep this variable inside any
available registers which is useful if your going to use it alot in a
piece of code i would imagine it could speed up things alot.
GCC ignores the "register" keyword.

GCC does _not_ ignore the "register" keyword.

Are you sure ? I mean, are you sure what Jeff was suggesting with his
short and not elaborated answer ?
I mean, what if he wanted to say : " GCC ignores the 'register'
keyword if no-optimization (-O0) flag was passed." ?

That's why I asked for clarification, for in that case he might be right.

I took his words as a "for all" statement and proved by a counter
example that at least in one case it is not true ;-)

No seriously, just wait for his respond. There might be situations where
the keyword is ignored. I can only guess ...

My understanding is that "register" is ignored at -O1 and above, which would seem to match your experience.