Re: Compiling gcc-4.1.2 on 64-bit Ubuntu machines

On 25/01/2011 10:58, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 25 January 2011 10:31, Olumide wrote:

I would like to roll out the build to other machines (several dozen
actually). I've tried copying the entire hierarchy (source and build) to the
target machines and then running make install but I'm getting the error
message (I'd appreciate help solving this problem -- thanks):

The problem is that "make install" checks if it needs to rebuild, and
notices that system headers and other things have changed.

Don't do it that way, instead use "DESTDIR"

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html

This allows you to copy the entire installed tree (not the source and
build trees) to a temporary staging area, from where it can be
packaged up into an archive, then extracted on the destination
machines.

Thanks Jon. One tiny question tho' (I'm total newbie at this). When do I do make DESTDIR? At the stage, make -j 2 bootstrap, in which case the command would be make DESTDIR=/transfer/gcc-build-archive -j 2, or at the final make install stage? (The latter doesn't work.)

If the former is the case, then I would simply copy /transfer/gcc-build-archive to the target machines and run make install on each, right?

Also, do I have to install texinfo and ncurses on the target machines?

Thanks.