Re: Compiling gcc-4.1.2 on 64-bit Ubuntu machines

25.1.2011 12:31, Olumide kirjoitti:

On 20/01/2011 17:24, Olumide wrote:
Good news.

Build was successful -- I think, here's the log file http://goo.gl/SnKsP

(I had to compiled and install textinfo version 4.9 and install the
latest version ncurses in order to compile texinfo.)

IMHO getting the 'info' docs nowadays isn't in any way important, but
getting PDF-format manuals would be. Years ago I manually did them
using 'pdftex' on some old RHL7.3 or 8.0 but whether that would succeed
somehow nowadays is unclear :(  Maybe I'm living in a totally different
planet when needing (printable when needed) PDF docs for everything...

I would like to roll out the build to other machines (several dozen
actually).

If I remember right, the goal was to get "plugins" for some AutoDesk
(Maya?) system which was made on/for RHEL4 which had gcc-4.1.2 as its
"system GCC". So the ultimate goal would be a (cross) "toolchain for
RHEL4 target with gcc-4.1.2".

But the original RHEL4 glibc etc. target libs are not freely available,
so what on earth to do?

  - try the "native" glibc etc. in the own development platform?
or
  - build a crosstoolchain with gcc-4.1.2 and with some freely
    available "very near" RHL4 target libraries like some CentOS
    ones? (Which ones for this case? CentOS5.x has gcc-4.1.2 and
    glibc-2.5 that I know...)

I myself would choose the latter and then produce the crosstoolchain
once, as "self-hosting" - built for the virtual "RHL4" host with the
"stage1" GCC built first using the native GCC on the development
platform. And then make a tarball for this "gcc-4.1.2 for RHEL4" and
install it onto all those several dozen platforms...