Re: 4.5.2 doesn't build due to wrong jar-usage (gcj)

On 01/07/2011 08:10 PM, Oliver Kullmann wrote:
>>> configure: error: cannot find neither zip nor jar, cannot continue
>>> make[2]: *** [configure-target-libjava] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>>> `/compsci/saturn/staff/csoliver/OKplatform/ExternalSources/builds/Gcc/gcc-4.5.2_build'
>>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>>> `/compsci/saturn/staff/csoliver/OKplatform/ExternalSources/builds/Gcc/gcc-4.5.2_build'
>>> make: *** [gcc] Error 1
>>> make: Leaving directory
>>> `/compsci/saturn/staff/csoliver/OKplatform/ExternalSources'
>>>
>>> jar exists (also unzip, but not zip), however it thinks it is wrongly used?
>>> The requirements page of gcc only says that "jar or zip" is needed, and
>>> nothing is said about version-numbers of jar?
>>>
>>> Apparently jar doesn't follow the usual Unix-tool standards, so you can't
>>> ask
>>> it (apparently) about its version or for help. Since I don't use jar, I
>>> don't
>>> know what to do here.
>>
>> This should be autodetected.  The problem usually occurs when gcc has been
>> configured, and then something goes wrong, and then make is restarted.  The
>> usual cure is to blow away the libjava directory and start again.
>
> I don't understand: Nothing was restarted, but this is just the complete build?
>
> Or is it related to me doing (repairing) something in the build directories?
> That would be rather difficult, since this is part of our package, which
> needs to be installed automatically by the user.

The only time I have ever seen this happen is when the build is stopped
after configure, something is changed, and then the build restarted.  If
this did not happen, then we have a new bug.

In that case, to debug this we'll need to know exactly how to duplicate
the problem, in precise detail.

Andrew.