Re: Building gcc 4.6 without libiconv

On 8 January 2011 19:26, John Marino wrote:

> The first issue is the bootstrap compiler.  What's been happening to
> previous ports is that as libgmp, libmpc, and libmpfr get version upgrades,
> the binary bootstrap compiler stops working (e.g. libgmp.so.8 goes to
> libgmp.so.10 and previous shared library is removed by the port system so it
> breaks the bootstrap).  I'm going to fix this by modifying the makefile to
> statically link as many libraries as possible to build the boostrap
> compiler.

Do you mean the GCC makefile or the BSD ports makefile?
You don't need to change the GCC makefile to link statically to gmp,
mpfr and mpc.  If you put the gmp/mpfr/mpc sources in the gcc source
tree then those sources will be used and statically linked to the gcc
binaries.

If you want to use an existing libgmp.a already installed on the
system, then you might need to change the makefiles to force that to
happen.