Re: GCC build issues - compilation failure

On 30 December 2010 15:02, Kai Ruottu wrote:
> 30.12.2010 16:37, Dan Track kirjoitti:
>
>> I now built outside the source dir
>>
>> cd /opt/mon
>> tar -xzf gcc-4.5.2.tar.gz
>> mkdir mybuild
>> cd mybuild
>>
>> ../gcc-4.5.2/configure (options the same as my first mail in this thread)
>>
>> error is exactly the same.
>>
>> Any thoughts on this, could it be the compiler I use which is
>> gcc-4.1.2 to build the initial compiler with?
>
> The errors came from your 'as' not understanding something :
>
>> /tmp/ccR5VCsN.s: Assembler messages:
>> /tmp/ccR5VCsN.s:11115: Error: unrecognized symbol type
>> "gnu_unique_object"
>
> So the obvious thing is that your '/usr/bin/as' (or something in $PATH
> before this) is too old for gcc-4.5.2, fully OK with gcc-4.1.2 however.
>
> I would use Google and see what the "gnu_unique_object" is...

It's a special section which gcc uses if you have a new enough glibc
and binutils.  Dan, if you're going to use --enable-gnu-unique-object
then you need a system that supports it - in which case it will be
auto-detected and used automatically - so there's no reason to specify
it explicitly.

Please read the installation docs, which tell you it will be used if
supported, instead of enabling dozens of redundant or problematic
options which cause your build to fail.

As I said before, start with a simple configure command and try to get
that working before you add a load of options which you haven't read
the documentation for.