Re: GCC Initialization File?

Tony Wetmore <tony.wetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> If everyone is supposed to use the same warnings, but some developers
> keep turning those off, your project/team has a management problem.
>
> I don't think GCC can help much with rogue developers.

Indeed, after you set the defaults for the flags, your next step will
inevitably be to remove the options which permit changing those flags on
the command line.  Then you'll have to start signing the compiler binary
and changing the build system to enforce use of the signed binary.  Then
you'll have to sign your build system.  Then you'll have to prevent your
developers from committing object files directly into the source code
control system.  And at that point, you might as well not have bothered
changing the compiler.

You can't use the compiler to enforce a build system policy.  It's
operating at the wrong level.

Ian