twice burned ...

Hi,

I have been burned twice by referring to:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/

to build older releases, namely 3.4.6 and 4.3.5:

 i) could not get gnat to build on 3.4.6. Posted message about not
getting gnat in my 3.4.6 build. Somehow stumbled across the actual
3.4.6 instructions in the INSTALL directory in my source tree. There I
discovered (cd gcc;make gnatlib_and_tools).

ii) could not get gnat to build on 4.3.5 (bootstrap from 3.4.6).
Remembered note on above page about needing gnat above 4.0 for build.
Posted message about how to get gnat 4.3.5 from 3.4.6. I then checked
the 4.3.5 instructions in INSTALL directory and it says I need like
3.1? Somehow I discovered that (at least in my configuration) you
can't build gnat from a profiled bootstrap.

So I submit for consideration:

 i) A note be added to the above web page that tells which release
these instructions are for.

ii) A reminder that one might find instructions specific for the
release they are trying to build in the INSTALL directory in their
source tree (I have downloaded the "whole kit and kaboodle" so I don't
know the likelihood that INSTALL is there for subsets). This can help
some users (like me) avoid asking multiple stupid questions.

kevin

P.S.:  These compilers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. May
actually be better than sliced bread. Its close. May need to check
instant replay.