Re: preserving comments

Philip Herron-2 wrote:

> On 24 November 2010 12:44, Sharanbr <sharanb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This might be a non standard usage, so please bear with me.
>>
>> I am in the process of writing a tool. The idea is that the user puts
>> comments at certain points of his program.
>> The comments have specific keywords. Once the code is compiled to
>> generate
>> assembly code, I would like to parse through the assembled code and then
>> extract certain information based on the comments inserted in the code.
>> The
>> second part of the application is when the same process is followed to
>> extract information from the linker output. For example, I would like to
>> extract the physical address from which the current instruction is being
>> executed. Can someone point me in the right direction if GCC has support
>> preserve the comments in the code as it assembles and links the code?
>
> Nothing shoots out at me if gcc supports this, but i would imagine
> using some nice inline asm use, you could possibly achieve something
> akin to what your trying to do.
>
> --Phil

Thanks, Phil. I was thinking on the same lines after briefly going through
the gcc manual.
One more thing I thought might be useful is the debug info that gcc puts for
tools like gdb.
But I don't have enough knowledge on what exactly is the debug info
available?
If you are aware of it, please help me with some pointers ...