GAS ".cfi_*" directives emitted for 64 bit but not 32 bit

Folks,

GCC 4.5.1 (-Os) on Fedora 14.

.cfi_startproc / .cfi_endproc etc directlives in the .s file.

Compiling a C program I see these are included for 64 bit, and they
increase the executable size by about 10%.

Firstly, is there an option for GCC to not emit these?  I can do a two
stage compile and remove them from the intermediate .s file with sed -
which works fine, but I'd rather do it properly!

Secondly, why are they output in 64 bit mode but not in 32 bit mode?
(all other things being equal).

Why are these needed in C which doesn't have exceptions?  Is it for
GDB or valgrind?  For my purposes I am happy to rebuild for debugging.

Many thanks,
Jeremy