Re: How can I know if libraries are old?

"Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 10/21/10 05:40 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
>> Please reply to the mailing list, not just to me.  Thanks.
>
> I replied to you, since you replied only to me - not the list!

Well, yes, but I did that because you had originally replied just to me.
I didn't mention it the first time, I mentioned it the second.  Not that
it matters much.

> I've
> set to "reply-to" field as the list now. IMHO, that should be the
> default, but I think that is like religion - you will never get
> agreement over it.

Yes.

> drkirkby@hawk:~$ elfdump -v /usr/local/gcc-4.5.0/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>
> Version Definition Section:  .SUNW_version

OK, this shows us that elfdump -v does dump version definitions.  From
your earlier e-mail, libstdc++.so.6 is being built without any version
definitions.

My conclusion is that for some reason libstdc++ is not using the
versioning mechanisms available on Solaris.  And that means that, as far
as I know, there is no reliable way to tell which version of libstdc++
is installed on a system.

This is unfortunate and should probably be fixed one way or another.
Please consider filing a bug report about this if there isn't already
one.  gcc does have a Solaris maintainer, Rainer Orth, and he may be
able to look into this.  Unfortunately any fix that happens now is not
going to help you.  Sorry.

Ian