Warning usage

I have recently upgraded to a newer GCC compiler and have received a lot of new warnings. Many of these warnings are great and have found bugs that went undetected in my software for many years. Thank you GCC developers. Unfortunately some of these new warnings seem to be coding style dependent or not reasonably usable with the code base that I have. This has caused me to turn off some warning options that in the past have been very helpful.

On other compilers, I generally start by setting the warning level at the highest value and making all warnings errors. From there I either fix the code as possible or pragma off warnings based on the responses from the compiler. I have tried using this strategy with GCC and I have run into two problems. 1. The GCC warning messages do not tell me which warning options I need to turn off either with compiler switches or pragmas.

2. When I find a compiler switch to turn off a warning, it generally seems to turn off a group of related warnings rather than one very specific warning. I am concerned this means that I am losing a lot of very useful warning information.

Is there an alternate strategy to making the most of warning information in GCC? Any ideas on a way to find which warning options I need to turn off based on the warning messages would also be useful.

Daniel Walter