Re: In-tree GCC build information

Ruben Van Boxem <vanboxem.ruben@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I am currently building a complete in-tree build of GCC 4.6 (snapshot)
> and latest binutils and GDB 7.2 (without ppl/cloog-ppl because they're
> troublesome for me). I have a couple of questions:
>
> Â- What is the official stance on in-tree builds? Are they
> "deprecated", not recommended, obsolete...

They ought to work when using current development sources.  I don't use
them myself, but certainly some people do.  However, you have to be
careful if you don't use current sources for everything--e.g., you
mention gdb 7.2, rather than gdb mainline.  There can be incompatible
changes in the shared directories.

> Â- What other dependencies/"toolchain stuff" can be built in-tree
> (libiconv, expat, GNU make, ...)? The reason I ask is because the
> configure script apparantly "knows" about some of these:

This can be made to work but really requires maintaining an entire
tree.  I don't recommend it.

> If GNU Make is possible in-tree, can I just add the configure options
> for it to the gcc configure line (eg
> --enable-case-insensitive-filesystem)?

Yes.

> Also configure make with
> "--program-prefix=mingw32-". How can I pass that only to make's
> configure?

You can't.

Ian