Were purple and green and gray; The litt

And stone, Oh, God, it's hell to be Alone, alone, alone! Snow-peaks
and deep-gashed draws Corral me in a ring. I feel as if I was The only
living thing On all this blighted earth; And so I frowst and shrink,
And crouching by my hearth I hear the thoughts I think. I think of all
I miss-- The boys I used to know; The girls I used to kiss; The coin I
used to blow: The bars I used to haunt; The racket and the row; The
beers I
didn't want (I wish I had 'em now). Day after day the same, Only

a little worse; No one to grouch or blame-- Oh, for a loving curse!
Oh, in the night I fear, Haunted by nameless things, Just for a voice
to cheer, Just
for a hand that clings! Faintly
as from a star Voices come o'er the line; Voices of ghosts afar, Not
in this world of mine; Lives in whose loom
I grope; Words in whose weft I hear Eager the thrill of hope, Awful
the chill of fear. I'm thinking out aloud; I reckon that
is bad; (The

snow is like a shroud)-- Maybe I'm going mad. Say! wouldn't that be
tough? This awful hush that hugs And chokes one is enough To make a
man go "bugs". There's not a thing to do; I cannot sleep at night;
No wonder I'm so blue; Oh, for a friendly fight! The din and rush of
strife; A music-hall aglow; A crowd, a city, life-- Dear God, I miss

it so! Here, you have moped enough! Brace up and play the game!

But say, it's awful tough-- Day after day the same (I've said

that twice, I bet). Well, there's not much to say. I wish I had a pet,
Or something I could play. Cheer up! don't get so glum And