Re: Compile error when not using -ftree-ter

On Thursday 19 August 2010 13:24:49 you wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >>         push %rax;
> >>
> >> # 0 "" 2
> >> #NO_APP
> >>
> >> -O2:
> >>
> >> #APP
> >> # 13 "ttt.cc" 1
> >>
> >>         push $_ZN3Foo6foobarEv;
> >>
> >> # 0 "" 2
> >> #NO_APP

> >> I already did, I think: some things get constant folded regardless of
> >> optimization level, but this is just luck.

> >> But gcc doesn't support the "i" constraint with anything other than a
> >> real compile-time constant (in the sense of __builtin_constant_p) so
> >> it's not a bug.
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
>
> Hi,
>
> > About your last statement: That would make sense to me. (Although I
> > really don't like the fact that whether something would be accepted by
> > the "i" constraint depends on optimization options. IMHO, whether
> > something is syntactically valid should not depend on optimizations.)
>
> It's not syntactically invalid, it's semantically invalid.  It's
> always semantically invalid.
>
> > But I see some evidence that your statement is not true. First of all,
> > it's not what the documentation claims:
> >
> > " 'i': An immediate integer operand (one with constant value) is allowed.
> > This includes symbolic constants whose values will be known only at
> > assembly time or later. "
>
> Hmm, this seems to generalize "i" to symbolic constants, but not to
> expressions that yield addresses.
>
> > Secondly, in practice a lot of expression are accepted which are not
> >
> > __builtin_constant_p. Here is an example program:
> >     #include <iostream>
> >     using namespace std;
> >
> >     struct Foo {void foobar() {}};
> >     typedef void (*plain_foobar_t)(Foo*);
> >     void func() {}
> >     int var;
> >
> >     int main()
> >     {
> >
> >         cout <<
> >         __builtin_constant_p((void*)(plain_foobar_t)(&Foo::foobar))
> >
> >             << __builtin_constant_p(func)
> >             << __builtin_constant_p(&var) << endl;
> >
> >         asm("" : : "i"((void*)(plain_foobar_t)(&Foo::foobar)),
> >
> >                 "i"(func),
> >                 "i"(&var));
> >
> >     }
> >
> > This compiles without errors at -O0 but prints "000".
> >
> > So, if your statement is true, don't you think there is something weird
> > going on here?
>
> This is a fundamental part of language definition: a translator is not
> required to do anything in particular with a program that has
> undefined behaviour.  One of the options a translator has is to do
> what the user expected.
>
> Sometimes an operand that is not a constant may work with the "i"
> constraint.  This is because a pass in gcc propagated a constant
> through an expression.  gcc is allowed to do this.  However, gcc is
> not required to do this.
>
> Finally, does the "g" constraint really not work for you with a recent

<Please ignore my previous message. Something went wrong when trying to reply
and this is the real reply>

Hi Andrew,

> Finally, does the "g" constraint really not work for you with a recent
> gcc?

It does work. I just forgot to reply on that in my last mail :-)

> Hmm, this seems to generalize "i" to symbolic constants, but not to
> expressions that yield addresses.

> ... a translator is not required to do anything in particular with a program
> that has undefined behaviour.

So basically you are saying that passing an expression that yields an address
to an "i" constraint results in undefined behavior? Well, then I think it makes
sense to me that this is not a bug :-)

One thing, however: My interpretation of the sentence

"This includes symbolic constants whose values will be known only at assembly
time or later."

is that it is allowed to pass "address constant expressions" (5.19.4 of the
C++ standard) because they will be resolved to constants "at assembly time or
later" (at link time).

Is this a misinterpretation? Of not, maybe the documentation could be
clarified.

Job