Debugging plugins with gdb

I'd like to step into my plugin to see if I can debug it. My plugin currently causes gcc to crash.
Trying to use "break execute_xxxxx" command in "add-symbol-file myplugin.so" but neither of them work. The first one complains that "function not defined" and the 2nd one says that "the address where xxxx.so has been loaded is missing".
Try run with the arugments did not help either. After gcc returns, it has unloaded the shared libraries.
I'd appreciate if anyone would share his experience in successfully debugging a plugin. thanks
jeff