Statically compiling gcc

Hi,

Is it possible to compile gcc itself statically, i.e. without any library dependencies? I have compiled gcc on my local machine, but it is linked against eglibc 2.11, but the build server we use has eglibc 2.3.6 instead so when copying gcc across, it doesn't run. At this time, we don't want to upgrade libc on an otherwise working server.

I know it is possible to do Canadian cross-compiles, but I haven't managed to get this to work. Therefore I was wondering if I can simply statically compile gcc instead? Searching google and the gcc documentation just brings up a lot of stuff about using gcc to staticially compile other applications, not statically compiling gcc itself!

Cheers
Andy