Re: What does PHI node mean? [GCC Internals Manual]

On 07/14/2010 03:32 PM, Bob Plantz wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 13:13 +0200, Georg Lay wrote:
>> Cheng Renquan schrieb:
>>>

>>> Someone know what PHI means, please tell, thank you. My native language
>>> is not English, sorry for my understanding, but if someone really know
>>> "PHI", please tell, I will thank you;
>>>

>> Yes, a glossary would be great.
>>
>> Georg
>
> This discussion reminds me of my reviewing a textbook some years ago for
> use in a programming class I was teaching. I started by randomly opening
> the book and reading. If I, knowing the subject, cannot understand what
> the author is saying, I believe that students would have problems. The
> author used many acronyms. I got stuck on "QAD." After about 1/2 hour of
> my searching through the text, I found what it meant: "QAD" = "Quick And
> Dirty." I did not select that book for my class.

LOL!  I love funny abbreviations.  I remember Ross Williams' brilliant
_Adaptive Data Compression_, where he developed one of the best
compression algorithms ever invented, called SAKDC, which (more or
less) combined the best existing compression algorithms with a few new
wrinkles.

SAKDC stands for Swiss Army Knife Data Compression...

:-)

Andrew.