new 3.4.6 with old 3.3.5

I have downloaded  gcc-3.4.6.tar.gz  and have installed it (configure, make,
make install) on a smoothwall 3 express development box
It currently has 3.3.5 on it.

This has taken some considerable time to install and read a lot of
documentation. I now wish to use 3.4.6 as the sole compiler, however 3.5.5
still exists and has its infrastructure, environment etc in place, so that
when I try to compile any new sources I download, these sources still find
and use 3.3.5.

I cant find anything on how to construct the environment so that 3.4.6 is the
preferred and only complier.

to cut a long story short I have spent about 20 hrs trying to compile ntop and
all its dependencies, and it keeps falling over. Over the next 20 or so hours
I then tried RRDtool according to the instructions here
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdbuild.en.html.
After fixing heaps of PATH, environment variables, moving and renaming ***.h.
lib***.so.1 etc , I finally got to cairo.
from which I always get the annoying error when make cairo-1.8.0 which appears
to be a compiling error, of which i know nothing about or what to do about
it.

gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
make[3]: *** [cairo-analysis-surface.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/incoming/cairo-1.8.0/src'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/incoming/cairo-1.8.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/incoming/cairo-1.8.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
******************************************************8
Its the first line above that bothers me, as i have no idea where the -o -c
and -S options are .
So I figured a later compiler might help.
 I am at a complete loss apart from doing about 200hrs of reading over the
next few months to get past this error.

So I wish to exclusively use only the 3.4.6 compiler with its complete
environment, without any reference or interference from 3.3.5. I am hoping it
might just be able to resolve this error.

Could you direct me to any ideas about how I can do this, or offer any advice.
ie setup the working environment, paths, environment, variables, strings or
whatever to use 3.4.6 as sole and only compiler.

Part of the problem is  the chicken and egg thingy, ie you cant install a
clean gcc, unless you already have a gcc installed, which means I cant just
start deleting old gcc to clear the way for newer gcc.

 I do enjoy learning all this but after the last 4 days of trying to install
just two applications, I am tired of the massive amount of problems one has
faced.

regards,
Shane Dwyer. Brisbane, AU.